Indications of Neofloxin 500 Tablet
Ciprofloxacin is used to treat Respiratory Tract Infections, Urinary Tract Infections, Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases, Infectious Diarrhea (Shigella dysenteriae, Vibrio cholera), Typhoid Fever, Intra-abdominal Infections, Prostatitis, Skin and Soft Tissue Infections, Bone and Joint Infections, Gonorrhea, Neutropenic Patients.
Pharmacology of Neofloxin 500 Tablet
Ciprofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic that is synthesized. It exhibits bactericidal effect against both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. By binding to the bacterial enzymes DNA gyrase and topoisomerase IV, which are responsible for DNA supercoiling, it inhibits bacterial DNA synthesis.
Dosage of Neofloxin 500 Tablet
- Respiratory Tract Infections: 500 to 750 mg twice daily (7 to 14 days)
- Urinary tract infections: 250 to 750 mg twice daily (3 to 10 days)
- Pelvic Inflammatory Diseases: 500 to 750 mg twice daily (14 days)
- Infectious Diarrhea (Shigella dysenteriae, Vibrio cholera): 500 mg twice daily (1 to 5 days)
- Typhoid fever: 500 mg twice daily (7 days)
- Intra-abdominal infections: 500 to 750 mg twice daily (5 to 14 days)
- Prostatitis: 500 to 750 mg twice daily (2 to 6 weeks)
- Skin and Soft Tissue Infections: 500 to 750 mg twice daily (7 to 14 days)
- Bone and Joint Infections: 500 to 750 mg twice daily (max. 3 months)
- Gonorrhea: 500 mg as a single dose
- Neutropenic patients with fever due to bacterial infection: 500 to 750 mg twice daily co-administered with appropriate antibacterials.
- Meningitis: 500 mg as a single dose.
- Surgical prophylaxis: 500 mg as a single dose, 60 minutes before the procedure.
Suspension: Pediatric: 10-20 mg/kg (max. 750 mg) twice daily (10 to 21 days). The duration of therapy depends on the type and severity of the infection.
Extended-release tablet: In uncomplicated urinary tract infection (acute cystitis), the recommended dose of extended-release tablet is 1000 mg tablet once daily for three days.
For IV infusion:
- Urinary Tract Infection: Mild to Moderate: 200 mg 12 hourly for 7-14 days; Severe or Complicated: 400 mg 12 hourly for 7-14 days
- Lower Respiratory Tract infection: Mild to Moderate: 400 mg 12 hourly for 7-14 days; Severe or Complicated: 400 mg 8 hourly for 7-14 days
- Nosocomial Pneumonia: Mild/Moderate/Severe: 400 mg 8 hourly for 10-14 days
- Skin and Skin Structure: Mild to Moderate: 400 mg 12 hourly for 7-14 days; Severe or Complicated: 400 mg 8 hourly for 7-14 days
- Bone and Joint Infection: Mild to Moderate: 400 mg 12 hourly for more than 4-6 weeks; Severe/Complicated: 400 mg 8 hourly for more than 4-6weeks
- Intraabdominal (Acute abdomen): Complicated: 400 mg 12 hourly for 7-14 days
- Acute Sinusitis: Mild/Moderate: 400 mg 12 hourly for 10 days
- Chronic Bacterial Prostatitis: Mild/Moderate: 400 mg 12 hourly for 28 Days.
Administration of Neofloxin 500 Tablet
Instruction for the use of Ciprofloxacin IV infusion-
- Check the bag for minute leaks by squeezing the inner bag firmly. If leaks are found, or if seal is not intact, discard the solution.
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy or a precipitate is present.
- Do not use flexible bags in series connections.
- Close flow control clamp of administration set.
- Remove cover from port at bottom of bag.
- Insert piercing pin of administration set into port with a twisting motion until the pin is firmly seated.
- Suspend bag from hanger.
- Squeeze and release drip chamber to establish proper fluid level in chamber during infusion of Ciprofloxacin IV infusion.
- Open flow control clamp to expel air from set.Close clamp.
- Regulate rate of administration with flow control clamp
Duration of treatment: The duration of treatment depends upon the severity of infection, clinical response and bacteriological findings. For acute infections the usual treatment period is 5 to 10 days. Generally treatment should be continued for 3 days after the signs and symptoms of the infection have been disappeared.
Interaction of Neofloxin 500 Tablet
Ciprofloxacin should not be taken at the same time as magnesium or aluminum-containing antacids, sucralfate, or any calcium, iron, or zinc-containing medications. Ciprofloxacin can be taken two hours after or six hours before these products. Ciprofloxacin should not be taken with milk or other dairy products because the absorption of Ciprofloxacin may be reduced greatly. However, dietary calcium, when consumed as part of a meal, has no effect on Ciprofloxacin absorption.
Patients who have a known hypersensitivity to Ciprofloxacin or other quinolones should avoid it.
Side Effects of Neofloxin 500 Tablet
Side effects include- nausea and other gastrointestinal disturbances, headache, dizziness, joint pain and skin rashes.
Pregnancy & Lactation
In pregnant women, there are no sufficient and well-controlled trials. Only if the possible benefit outweighs the danger to the fetus and mother should Ciprofloxacin be used during pregnancy. Human milk contains ciprofloxacin, which is excreted. Ciprofloxacin should not be taken during lactation due to the risk of articular injury.
Precautions & Warnings
Patients using Ciprofloxacin should be encouraged to drink plenty of water. In individuals with suspected or established CNS problems, such as epilepsy, or other variables that predispose to seizures and convulsions, it should be administered with caution. Hypokalemia should be avoided in patients with known QT prolongation.
4-Quinolone preparations, Anti-diarrhoeal Antimicrobial drugs
Store in a dry area at a temperature of not more than 30°C. Light and dampness should be avoided. Keep out of children’s reach.
Pharmaceutical Name of Neofloxin 500 Tablet